Freezer Cooking Days
Posted by supermom on November 3, 2009
I plan to do most of my baking and cooking tomorrow but this is what I’ve got on the agenda for this afternoon.
Cut up and peel pumpkins we used for jack-o-lanterns
Steam pumpkin pieces, cool a bit and then puree
Make pumpkin soup
Freeze pumpkin puree in 1 c portions to use in recipes over next several months
I’ll add a picture of the pumpkin soup along with the recipe later this evening. I’ve never made pumpkin soup before so I’m creating the recipe as I go along.
As promised, here’s the picture and the recipe for the pumpkin soup.
2 stalks celery (complete with leaves)
2 carrots (peeled)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 c beef broth (I used the drippings leftover from a beef roast that I had in the freezer)
4 c pumpkin puree
1 c whole milk (or whatever milk you have on hand)
½ tsp curry powder
½ tsp cumin
Salt and pepper
1. Finely chop the onion, celery and carrot. I usually chop by hand but today since I already had the food processor out to puree the pumpkin I used that.
2. To a large pot… add 1 tbsp olive oil and then the onion, celery and carrot. Saute until onions are clear.
3. Add 1 heaping tbsp of minced garlic and beef broth. Allow to simmer until celery and carrots are tender.
4. Add pumpkin puree. Continue to simmer a few minutes more.
5. Add milk.
6. And finally add curry powder, cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
One Response to “Freezer Cooking Days”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.