Art Deco Cabinet – Some Dis-Assembly Required
Posted by supermom on June 12, 2011
Dave spent the past few days taking apart and then sanding the Art Deco sewing cabinet and bench seat that we bought for my Singer 15-91.
This ended up being a bigger job than he had anticipated. Not only did all the outside surfaces need to be sanded as expected, all the inside surfaces had to be sanded as well to completely remove the unpleasant odor.
At first, we assumed the odor was due to having sat unused for so long. We tried washing it down, inside and out. We changed buckets of water three times and each time the water was an awful brown by the time we got finished. Then we let it sit outside for several days to air out (bringing it back into the garage each night.)
We think the previous owners must have been very heavy smokers and over the years, the smell and cigarette fumes had soaked into the finish.
Thank goodness, now that all surfaces have been sanded the cabinet just smells like wood.
The next step is to wipe all the pieces down with a damp cloth to remove any sanding dust that the vacuum didn’t get. Then he’ll start the refinishing by re-staining the black strips along the bottom of the cabinet and bench seat and the drawer handles.
6 Responses to “Art Deco Cabinet – Some Dis-Assembly Required”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.