By the end of the 10 weeks, I had the seventy 9 patch quilt blocks completed.
And there they sat on the top of that filing cabinet all through the summer and into the fall. I’m usually pretty good at picturing in my mind how I want a project to look once it’s finished. But no matter how hard I tried, I simply couldn’t picture how those blocks would look all laid out and sewed together with the sashing.
Then one day a couple of weeks ago, I decided that I’d just laid them all out on the living room floor and go from there. And within minutes it all came together. Funny how things work that way sometimes.
So over the next four days, I sewed blocks and sashing together into strips and then sewed more sashing onto those strips.
While I was cutting squares for the 9 patch blocks, I cut an extra 20 of each colour, so I had more than the 442 squares needed to make the scrappy border. It took me all of one afternoon to sew those squares into the four strips of fabric needed for that border. But by the time that was done, I could see the end and the next day it didn’t take me any time at all to sew the outer border strips onto the quilt top.
I’m new to quilting and this is the largest quilt top I’ve made so far. Now that it’s done, I must say that I am really pleased with the way it turned out.
We had a bit of a challenge getting pictures of it, because every time I was just about to click the button, this happened:
Here are a couple of close ups of some of the squares. I really like the way the sashing and the scrappy border makes all the 9 patches come together.
It’s so bright and cheerful and I’m looking forward to getting it finished so that we can use it. But that will have to wait until later this winter. We’re having a mostly handmade Christmas again this year, so I’m busy working on other projects.